Brentâ€™s Top Twelve
12) Destroyer â€“ Destroyerâ€™s Rubies â€“ This guy is something else. Heâ€™s prolific, and complicated. What more could you ask?
11) Bruce Springsteen â€“ We Shall Overcome â€“ This thing just sort of died on me at the end of the summer. I blame my brother, who never warmed up to it.
10) Camera Obscura â€“ Letâ€™s Get Out Of This Country- Music I wish Belle and Sebastian would make again.
9) Twilight Singers â€“ Powder Burns â€“ It pisses me off to no end that Kent doesnâ€™t like this CD. I donâ€™t care that Greg Dulli is fat. Itâ€™s still New Orleansâ€™ version of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
8) Iâ€™m From Barcelona â€“ Let Me Introduce You To My Friends â€“ This music has no soul. I like music like that.
7) Oh No Oh My â€“ Oh No Oh My â€“ In a year without the Shins, this is as close to a Shins CD I could find.
6) Tom Waits â€“ B,B, and B â€“ Itâ€™s not fait that Tom Waits has this much good music lying around. This box set, has more redeemable music than any box set should have. It will take me a year to get through it all.
5) Girl Talk â€“ Night Ripper â€“ If you havenâ€™t listened to this, make it your business to do so. Mash-ups that donâ€™t make you blush. What more could you want? Also there is this part where Biggie is rapping over Elton Johnâ€™s â€œTiny Dancerâ€ that almost makes me cry.
4) El Perro Del Mar – Perro Del Mar â€“ More soulless music. Better than IFB. And sad and pretty, and nice.
3) The Pipettes â€“ We Are The Pipettes â€“ And weâ€™ve got no regrets.
2) Neko Case â€“ Fox Confessor Brings The Flood â€“ Letâ€™s start with the title. I defy you to find a better CD title in 2006.
1) Beirut â€“ Gulag Orkestar – This wasnâ€™t a great year for music by any means, but this CD made it through the whole year without me ever getting sick of it. I donâ€™t love it, like I loved Black Sheep Boy and Apologies to Queen Mary last year, but it really stuck around.
My CD from days gone by would be Milk Eyed Mender by Joanna Newsom. That CD was awesome, and I completely dismissed it. I am dumb.
Now then, for the band that would be on this, if I had longer to listen â€“ Man Man â€“ Six Demon Bag. I hardly knew ye.
The Motel Candle Wasters Award for me goes to The Decemberists â€“ The Crane Wife. That song Kent likes so much screws that whole CD up for me. I donâ€™t know what to do about it. It should be at the beginning or the end, or the trash.
Quickly My Favorite Tracks
5) Pull Shapes â€“ The Pipettes
4) Van Helsing Boombox â€“ Man Man
3) Europeon Oils â€“ Destroyer
2) Ballet and Art â€“ Eagle*Seagull
1) Star Witness â€“ Neko Case
0) Weâ€™re From Barcelona â€“ Iâ€™m From Barcelona
-1) Us Ones In Between â€“ Sunset Rubdown
-2) Omaha â€“ Tapes n Tapes
My Favorite Shows
5) Edith Frost
3) Flaming Lips
2) Jens Lekman
1) The Brunettes